Monday, May 19, 2014

Billboard Awards and Game of Thrones. Sunday's rule




THE ANSWER TO FRIDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: The theme for last week was One and Done TV shows. Shows that only lasted a season. 
FIRST FIVES: Jim Carter & Karen Feldman figured it out prior to Friday. Mike O'Dea was first on Friday then Caryn Vitolo, James Gabriele and Monica Caraffa
HONORABLE MENTION: Bill McLaughlin…my bud in the photo. More people know and love Bill than knew last weeks theme!

THE NUMBERS 

Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
The Big Bang Theory-CBS 4.8/16.2
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 2.5/8.6
American Idol-FOX 2.0/8.5
Two and a Half Men-CBS 1.8/7.5
Hells Kitchen-FOX 1.7/4.7

Thursday's Cable Top 5
NBA Playoffs 10:44p-ESPN 2.8/6.4
NBA Playoffs 8:05p-ESPN 2.1/5.3
Big Bang Theory-TBS 1.0/2.5
American Dad-Adult Swim .9/2.0
Pawn Stars-History .8/3.1

Thursday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 201,000 Tweets
The Vampire Diaries-CW 183,000 Tweets
Loiter Squad-Adult Swim 75,000 Tweets
American Idol-FOX 64,000 Tweets
Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon-11,000 Tweets

Friday's Broadcast Top 5
Barbara Walters-ABC 1.6/9.3
Shark Tank Season Finale-ABC 1.6/6.4
Dateline-NBC 1.3/6.8
Grimm Season Finale-NBC 1.3/5.3
Hannibal-NBC .9/2.4

Friday's Cable Top 5
NA

Friday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
Hannibal-NBC 42,000 Tweets
WWE Friday Night Smackdown-33,000 Tweets
Barbara Walters-ABC 18,000 Tweets
Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon-NBC 10,000 Tweets
Shark Tank-ABC 8,000 Tweets

THE SHOWS 

The Billboard Music Awards

  • Pitbull debuted the World Cup song and didn't sound that great. You could tell John Legend wasn't that impressed.
  • Cool how JLo bounced that ball off her butt? I think the fringes were getting stuck and she was having some issues. She seemed to be picking them out or freeing her wedgie or something. 
  • Ludacris was the host and he was sporting some massive rocks in his lobes. I can't believe they didn't rip his ears off his head.
  • Nice to see Shania Twain on stage presenting, but she didn't have far to travel. She's living and working down the block from the MGM.
  • Top Rock Album-Imagine Dragons/Night Visions
  • Danica McKeller and Andie Dorfman current ABC stars...the trend begins
  • One Republic performed and again, John Legend looked unimpressed.
  • Iggy Azalea did a good job on Fancy. Lots of Pom Poms from head to toe
  • I loved Arianna Grande's black and white boots and dress. Pretty sure I saw her undies.
  • Kevin O'Leary and my NBF Mark Cuban introduced Florida Georgia Line. The ABC Trend continues on. 
  • Carrie Underwood was into Florida Georgia Line (and Luke Bryan) but her hocky husband wasn't 
  • Miranda Lambert looked awesome when she introduced Shakira
  • Shakira looked amazing but I hated her dress
  • Billboard 200 Album Award-Justin Timberlake for The 20/20 Experience
  • Kendall Jenner didn't know who she was introducing? WTF is wrong with these Jenner/Kardashians? None of them can read or speak or anything. 
  • 5 Seconds of Summer performed "She Looks So Perfect" I love that song.
  • Best New Artist-Lorde had her acceptance speech on her cellphone. First time I've ever seen that. Looked like she had black furry wings
  • Love Katy Perry. She was live from England though. Neon green hair, crazy colors. She performed "Birthday" She was flying with balloons. Who flew first? P!nk or Katy? I think P!nk 
  • Chris Angel was wearing quite a blingy watch and performed zero magic but I believe he will have an ABC special soon AND he does work in Vegas
  • Imagine Dragons performed-love them
  • Phil Phillips presented Top Country Artist to Luke Bryan
  • ABC's newest team, Ludacris, Keshia & Brad Paisley explained Rising Star to us. Brad  called out a "that's what she said" when Keshia said "it's huge" (ABC Trend continues)
  • First crazy MJ robots, then a bizarre hologram of Michael Jackson performing "Slave to the Rhythm"  with live performers. I don't know how it looked to the audience in the MGM Grand, but it looked cool on TV, yet at the same time, really f'ing bizarre and sort of creepy. HE'S DEAD! Can't he just be dead? 
  • Top Rock Song-Lorde "Royals" 
  • Sarah Hyland from Modern Family looked cute
  • Ricky Martin's back and he looked good! His song should have been the World Cup song. He was much better and in my opinion was the best of the evening
  • Josh Groban presented Top Female Artist to Katy Perry
  • Luke Bryan performed "Play it Again"  Luke's cool
  • Top R&B Song: "Blurred Lines" Robin Thicke. Robin thanked his wife for her love and support. Not sure...are they together these days or was that still part of the winning her back strategy?
  • Nicki Minaj introduced Lorde saying it was her first time in Primetime. How can that be true? Didn't she perform at The Grammys or any other primetime music awards show? 
  • Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert looked AMAZING! They sounded amazing and yet, their husbands didn't look that impressed. 
  • Austin Mahone and Cher Lloyd presented Top Streaming Artist to: Miley Cyrus who cursed and wore a lip/tongue sequin dress that was actually pretty cool  but also disturbing
  • Chrissy Teigen's bangs were too long if  you ask me, but she still looked good introducing her husband singing her song. Even after hearing it a million times it doesn't get old. I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing it at weddings for the rest of my life. 
  • Top Country Song: "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line 
  • Jason Derulo and Snoop Dogg performed. Anyone know who the guy with the red Michael Jackson jacket and million pound bling necklace was? We couldn't figure it out.
  • Do we really think that Miley Cyrus is Snoop Dogg's home girl?  We saw her performing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" in the UK with the dude from The Flaming Lips.  Pretty crazy…he kissed her bejeweled shoeless feet.
  • The Milestone Award (from Chevrolet…get it?) was presented by Kelly Rowland who must have invested in some serious glue to make sure there were no nip slips. What a risky top. Carrie Underwood took home the statue
  • Robin Thicke tried to make us listen to a song that wasn't "Blurred Lines" I checked my Facebook page
  • Top Artist: Justin Timberlake who thanked "everyone on earth EXCEPT…Donald Sterling"
  • Icon Award: Jennifer Lopez.  JLo's an ICON? Guess so.
  • If you didn't know at the start of the show, you sure knew by the end of the show that ABC's Rising Star begins soon and that Ludicris, Brad Paisley, Josh Groban and Keshia are all the judges. TOOOO many plugs. We got it.
Game of Thrones
So Cersai got this giant mountain man named Sir Gregor to fight for her in the upcoming duel against her brother.  This guy kills people for fun and leaves intestines all over the place. None of Tyrion's guys came through for him.  He was pretty much resigned to the fact that the end could be near. I was starting to brace myself for his death. I mean this is the year (and the show) of crazy deaths right? Tyrion COULD die. I haven't read the books. I have no idea if he dies or not, but at least now he has someone who wants to fight for him. Revenge and vengeance are in his favor. Lannisters killed this guys sister and his nieces and nephews. He could win. The Hound told Arya  that his brother burned his face because he thought he stole his toy. Anger issues huh? The scary witch chick took a bath, Dario got naked (good naked) and finally slept with  Khaleesi and on his way out bumped into Jorad, but Khaleesi made sure that Dario knew who meant more to her. Brienne got a kidney pie recipe and the news that Arya's alive. Baylish kissed Sansa which was freaky weird. Aunt Liza saw it unfold and almost killed Sansa but Baylish showed up just in time and threw Aunt Liza out of the castle…literally. OMFG that was awesome.  She was a freak, she had it coming but NOW WHAT? Sansa must need a drink or a valium or something. Robin's going to FREAK THE F OUT when he finds out Mommy was thrown out that crazy hole. 

Rectify
Has anyone seen this show?  With the season winding down and the Summer shows on the horizon, I have a little extra time to catch up on shows I've been wanting to check out. Last week was Chosen, on Crackle and this week…Rectify. There's only 6 episodes, and I'd say they're worthy of your attention. The 2nd season premieres on 6/19, so now's a good time to check it out. It's the story of a guy who's been locked up in prison in solitary confinement, on death row for a murder he didn't commit and what it's like for him and his family when he gets released. The pacing of the show is different. Sort of slow and quiet. You need to adjust to it a bit, mainly because Daniel is different. He's taking it all in and adjusting. I don't recall this story being done before. How would someone who's had no real human contact or contact with the outside world react when they step into it 20 years later? If you're travelling, sick, or just have some time to binge, I would recommend this one. 

Chrisley Knows Best
Of course I've heard of Chrisley Knows Best, but I had never watched it before. I met Todd  at the NBCU Upfront and promised I'd check out his show. Of course now I'm hooked. I love a good reality show. Todd is another odd, yet interesting character. He made his money (a lot of it apparently) in real estate and is now going into fashion. Gotta admit, he and his family do dress beautifully. Him especially. He has 5 kids and is very controlling. He has GPS trackers in their phones and cars and has their texts sent to him etc. As much as he tries, he can't control everything and the kids do get into trouble. Of course after the show aired, we've learned that he's pretty much broke and in debt etc and his Mom got kicked out of her house. Who knows what the truth is. I kept my promise though and sure the show's fun to watch. Is it a must see? Ehhh not really. Although, I think that Todd could be gay. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT, I just sort of think he could be. Watch it, let me know if you agree. I think more than anything, that's why I kept watching.  I'm waiting for him to come out of the biggest closet ever.

True Tori
All I know is that Tori and Dean need help. A lot of it. It looks like they're getting it. They have Dr. Wexler, they have a Reiki therapist now, they have Tori's friend Mehran, they have Dean's friend Wolfie, but I just can't see them making it through all of this. We all thought that Tori and Dean were awesome prior to Dean's screw up, but they've had issues all along. She's never trusted him, he's got self esteem issues, drug issues, and drinking issues. WHO KNEW? Editing is truly a miracle worker. Good luck to them both their going to need it. 

PILOTS

Madam Secretary
I watched the entire pilot of CBS's Madam Secretary starring Tea Leoni. I liked it. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it. It's no West Wing, but it'll go great with The Good Wife on Sunday's. Tea Leoni's character reminds me a little bit of Alicia Florick. Smart, a bit un-emotional. A lot will depend on the rest of the cast. They seem interesting enough. I'll def watch the 2nd episode. 

The McCarthy's
Of course we know from the second the pilot begins that Ronny McCarthy, the gay son/brother, of Arthur and Marjorie, is NOT going to move to Providence. If he did, there'd really be no show. Although, his single sister's pregnant and Joey McIntyre IS cute, it's not enough for an entire sitcom. Well...maybe.  I prob won't watch this one when the season starts. It's fine, but I'm betting there'll be something better when decision time comes. The Boston thing could get old fast and so could all the gay jokes.  

THE OTHER STUFF 

- I can't even believe music competition shows are still on the table for network execs. With all of them on the downtrend, why on earth is ABC launching another one? Gotta admit that the judges are decent, Josh Groban, Brad Paisley, Keisha and Ludacris, but is there even interest anymore? The Voice and Idol are at all time lows and X-Factor's gone. Let's see what happens with Rising Star. Good Luck guys.

-I admit it, I'm coming clean. I did watch Barbara Walters final show. Hillary Clinton, Oprah and  Michael Douglas were there which was fine. I'm SO over Oprah. I did get a little teary when 25 female broadcast journalists came out to honor Barbara. Everyone from Meredith Viera, to Lisa Ling, to Katie Couric to Joan Lunden. Barbara got teary too and at the end of the day those women represent Barbara's legacy. Well done. I didn't watch the 2 hour special on Friday night though, that would have been too much Barbara Wawa for me. 

-The first time I ever saw Mathew Rhys was in Brothers and Sisters. He played Nora Walker's very outspoken gay son, Kevin. Now he's playing Phillip in The Americans and is really doing a phenomenal job. The other day, he was on Seth Meyers show and guess what…he's WELSH! Did you guys know that? I had no idea!!! I mean he has a very, very thick Welsh accent. I was so blown away that I kept thinking that maybe he was faking it. I just couldn't get used to it and couldn't believe it. Now, I think he's even BETTER than I thought he was before.

-I had a a feeling this would happen…OWN's Michael Sam docuseries is officially…ON HOLD. Don't think the NFL, the team, or the players loved the idea.

-AT&T is buying Direct TV for the small price of...67 BILLION dollars! They really want a piece of distribution pie I guess. More to come on this one. 

Monday's Trivia Question: JLo's an Icon but before she was an Icon, she was a Flygirl on this show. Name the show.


WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment