Monday, October 13, 2014

Sunday Night Was Ladies Night: Madam Secretary, The Good Wife and The Real Housewives.



THE ANSWER TO FRIDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse were Friday's cartoon pals.

FIRST FIVES: Crystal Kyler, Mike O'Dea, Alex Nagler, Adam Cohen & Gerald Piscopo
HONORABLE MENTION: Karen Feldman
Bonus Trivia Question: Katherine from Scandal was also Penny from Lost
Scandal Song Trivia: What's Going On/Marvin Gaye 

THE NUMBERS 

Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
Thursday Night Football-CBS 3.8/11.9
How to Get Away with Murder-ABC 3.1/10.7 (REALLY? HIGHER THAN SCANDAL!)
Scandal-ABC 3.0/9.5
Thursday Night Football Kickoff-CBS 2.5/8.9
Grey's Anatomy 2.4/8.4

Thursday's Cable Top 5
NFL Football-NFL Network 1.3/3.0
Big Bang Theory-TBS 1.1/2.2
Family Guy-Adult Swim .8/2.0
Project Runway-Lifetime .7/1.7
Pawn Stars-History .6/2.6

Thursday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
Scandal-ABC 242,000 Tweets 
How to Get Away With Murder-ABC 105,000 Tweets
The Vampire Diaries-CW 76,000 Tweets
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 67,000 Tweets
Real Housewives of NJ-Bravo 4,000 Tweets

Friday's Broadcast Top 5
Shark Tank-ABC 1.9/7.3
Hawaii Five-0-CBS 1.3/9.1
Cristela-ABC 1.3/6.5
Blue Bloods-CBS 1.2/10.8
Last Man Standing-ABC 1.2/6.5

Friday's Cable Top 5
NA

Friday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
Tonight Show-NBC 41,000 Tweets
Cristela-ABC 7,000 Tweets
Alma Awards-MSNBC 7,000 Tweets
Girl Meets World-Disney 5,000 Tweets
A Football Life-NFL Network 1,000 Tweets

Yesterday, on the tvbythenumbers website, Bill Gorman published a great refresher on ratings that I thought might interest you guys. With the new season, a lot of the networks put out tons of press releases about ratings. As we all know, big ratings are good for the networks and for viewers but for different reasons. If ratings are up for a viewers favorite show, it won't get cancelled, but it also means the networks can (and will)  charge advertisers more money to run in that show. We keep hearing about Live +3 and Live +7 ratings which of course are great for the networks because the numbers are ALWAYS higher than Live +Same Day or C3's which is what most advertisers use and pay for. Be smart, don't fall for all the hype. The numbers I use for this blog are Live + Same Day which don't vary THAT much from C3's. Here are some additional facts and points of interest:  

  • C+3 day commercial ratings: They determine how much the networks get paid for their advertising in most cases (while C+7 day commercial ratings are beginning to be used they vary little from the C+3 ratings). They measure Live and DVR viewing of the average commercial minute during a show within 3 days of airdate.They are rarely available in public.
  • Live+Same Day program ratings: They are the ratings you see reported almost everywhere on a daily and weekly basis. They measure the Live and DVR viewing until 3am after the airdate of the average minute, program and commercials, during an entire show.
  • Live + 7 day program ratings: They measure the Live and DVR viewing within 7 days of airdate of the average minute, program and commercials, during an entire show. They are reported in media articles specifically about DVR viewing, and of course, network PR.They are available 2-3 weeks after the original airdate.
Here are the network average numbers from premiere week (September 24-30, 2012) during the 2012-13 season:
  • NBC had a 3.0 C+3 Day commercial rating, a tenth lower than its 3.1 Live+Same Day program rating.
  • CBS had a 2.3 C+3 Day commercial rating, a tenth lower than its 2.4 Live+Same Day program rating.
  • Fox had a 2.5 C+3 Day commercial rating, a tenth higher than its 2.4 Live+Same Day program rating.
  • ABC had a 2.3 C+3 Day commercial rating, a tenth higher than its 2.2 Live+Same Day program rating.
Conclusions:
  • Live+Same Day program ratings are very close to the C+3 commercial ratings for each network, varying only slightly.
  • Live+Same Day program ratings are a very good proxy for the C+3 Day commercial ratings.

THE SHOWS 
The Affair
I'm always intrigued by anything affair oriented. I'm also usually disappointed. As one of my faithful readers always says "where they going to go with that." You sort of know, MOST OF THE TIME, how it's going to end. I'm still in at this point with Showtime's newest affair attempt, but since I can't stand the murder mystery thing, I may be out soon. Nice to see Joshua Jackson in a bit of a different role for him. Maura Tierney's always good and some of you guys will know Noah from The Wire. I've never seen Ruth Wilson, the woman that plays Allison, before, but she's been in quite a few shows you guys may have watched. Luther, The Prisoner and Jane Eyre. There's something interesting with this story. We know these two had an affair, but in the pilot, the story is being told to the police in two parts. Hers and his. The opening scene freaked me out big time. What kid fakes his own hanging? Oops. Did I ruin it for you? You'll thank me for that one. I'll have to get back to you next week. For now, I have a Season Pass.  Of course it's on Sunday nights. Hard decisions may need to be made.

Madam Secretary
Does Tea Leoni eat? She looked so skinny, but I guess when you're trying to broker a peace treaty, and grant someone political asylum, it's hard to eat a balanced meal and get home for make popcorn for a sleepover. It's not like she could tell the head of Japan to wait while she runs home for her girls, right? Luckily she seems to have an amazing husband in Henry, but I sense something with him. He seems too good to be true. I think he knows more about George's murder than he's letting on. Did we ever get to hear his entire joke about Thomas Aquinas walking into a bar? I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway. All the McCord kids are way too smart, do you think Chelsea Clinton, Sasha and Malia are like them? Aware of the Chinese political situation and not at all into Ashton and Mila's baby naming. My girl crush is still pretty strong especially seeing that Tea Leoni can apparently play basketball pretty well while wearing some pretty nice pumps. Not everyone can pull that off. 

The Good Wife
Alicia's running for States Attorney. I'm not really thrilled about it and I'm not really sure I want her to win, either. If she wins, what happens to Florick/Agos? Does it become Agos/Lockhart? There's been no shark jumping or anything, but this path concerns me a bit. After watching Eli and the hot campaign manager go through all of the opposition research, not sure if it's a good decision, especially with Lemond Bishop involved. How funny was  Alicia's Mom hitting that kid in the store? We definitely think it was Castro that had Alicia pulled over, right? How would he know that the woman likes her red wine?  I'd forgotten about Zach and Niesa.  What a blow for Alicia, another man she thought she trusted and believed in, just let her down again. 

Real Housewives of NJ
I really can't stand Amber and Jim. I'm not clear at all what that photo shoot in the middle of the winter in a horse stable was all about. Was it for anything specific or just for Jim to live out some sort of fantasy for us all to watch. He looked sort of creepy watching his wife, didn't he? I wonder what Amber would look like without her all of her extensions. Those eyelashes are crazy. She could kill flies with those things. No way Jim pulled off that surprise dinner/photo gallery without Bravo's help. No way. The twins were shopping in Englewood, right by my house. Wish I'd known, I would have invited them over for some tea and drama. As much as Theresa was embarrasing Gia at the salon, I felt sad for both of them. No Mommy/Daughter pedicures in the slammer. I'm sort of happy the finale is next week. It's hard to watch Theresa and her kids knowing what's going on. The reunion should be interesting. 

THE OTHER STUFF 

-I'm sure you guys know already, because I complain about it all the time, that I am unfortunately, a Cablevision customer. Nothing I can really do it about it except go satellite and I'm not doing that so I accept what I cannot have. Doesn't mean I don't complain though. I don't have Pivot on Cablevision. So of course I don't get to see Joseph Gordon Levitt's amazing show HitRecord and I also don't get to see Human Resources. Another show I adore on the network. If you have Pivot, check it out. It just got renewed for another season. It's a reality show about a cool company that uses recycled products for EVERYTHING or sells them to people who do. The people who work there are odd and interesting and fun to watch. The culture they work in is SO different than the one most of us all work in. Anyway, congrats to Pivot for another good decision. I hate Cablevision.

-Nielsen apparently screwed something up, not sure EXACTLY what by reading their statement, but the National numbers have been affected by the screw-up since March. They say they've figured it out and have updated the system and will re-issue the numbers. Blah, blah, blah. Nice of you guys to come clean, but what is anyone going to actually do about it now. Upfronts are over, it is what it is right? There HAS to be a better way. With all of this technology, there just HAS to be someone out there who can invent an app or something.  Should I feel happy that Nielsen admitted their mistake? I guess. Who would have noticed if they didn't?

-CBS cancelled Unforgettable after 3 seasons, but Starz after only 2 episodes renewed LeBron "King" James's show, Survivors Remorse. Black Sails was also renewed for another season. I never got in to that one.

-Good news Shah's of Sunset fans. The strike is OVER...let the editing begin. Post production peeps will now be able to unionize and get back to work making Reza and the gang look bad (or good) for the upcoming season. Yeah!  

Monday's Trivia Question: Everyone loved last weeks theme so much, I've decided to keep going.  If you can name each of the characters in this photo...5 points EACH! 


WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment