Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Back from Break...All Caught Up



THE ANSWER TO TUESDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: I know it was a week ago, so I'm betting you've forgotten what the trivia question was, so let me refresh your memories. Name the TV show that took place in the towns of Stars Hollow, Mystic Falls, and Capeside: Stars Hollow-Gilmore Girls, Mystic Falls-Vampire Diaries, and Capeside-Dawson's Creek 

FIRST FIVES: Mike O'Dea, Elke Raskob, Kathy Connelly, Karen Feldman & Bobby Aguilera
HONORABLE MENTION: Brett Blattman 

THE NUMBERS 
Sunday's Broadcast Top 5
Sunday Night Football-7.8/22.8
Football Night in America-NBC 3.6/11.8
60 Minutes-CBS 2.5/14.0
Once Upon a Time-ABC 1.3/4.3
Madam Secretary-CBS 1.2/9.5

Sunday's Cable Top 5
NA

Sunday's Twitter Top 5
The Walking Dead-AMC 488,000 Tweets
2015 Soul Train Awards-BET 471,000 Tweets
Once Upon a Time-ABC 57,000 Tweets
Keeping Up with the Kardashians-E! 39,000 Tweets
Into the Badlands-AMC 18,000 Tweets

Late Night Ratings 11/16/15-11/20/15
Fallon-1.0/3.2
Colbert-.5/2.6
Kimmel-.5/2.4
Seth Meyers-.5/1.5
James Corden-.3/1.1
Carson Daly-.3/.8
Conan-.3/.7
Trevor Noah-.3/.7
Larry Wilmore-.1/.4

-I've always enjoyed the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. For the past 3 years, I've marched in it, so my TV hasn't been on, but even without my TV and even with out Justin Bieber, the parade delivered some great LIVE ratings. A 12.6 household and a 7.0 RA18-49 which was up a tiny bit vs. last year. Wonder what the numbers would have been if Bieber didn't have a personal crisis?

-Season 2 of Empire has had a ton of celebrities making cameos, and yet the numbers aren't going up like they did last year. If it were me, I wouldn't have aired a new episode this past Wednesday.  Ratings were down 30% vs. last year. It's the biggest travel day of the year. People didn't care about Jamal and Alicia Keys making out, they had planes to catch. Of course the show still delivered 9.1 million viewers. Lets see what happens when the live + 7 numbers come in. I don't know why, but Empire sort of stinks so far this season. Can't put my finger on why. Could be the music. Last season every song was amazing and we were all dying to hear them all even after the show was over. This season…there hasn't been one catchy tune.  
THE SHOWS 


Homeland
Just one question…is Quinn dead? 

Quantico
Glad Alex is in the clear...is Simon the bomber?  

Apres Ski
I still enjoy this one, but there's so much that makes no sense at all. Joey's the big boss and Tamara is the next biggest boss, why are they NEVER around? This is a brand new company, a brand new team, a lot riding on it and they let Elyse, a random city chick who knows nothing at all about Whistler, snow, skiing etc. run the show? She's awful, everyone hates her, there's been no real training or orientation for the team and yet they seem to pull off miracles every week. Lynsey, who spells her name in a really annoying way, was hired to be on the show and she's always leaving for one reason or another. Bobby's BFF is just a complainer. No idea why he's friends with her. All the clients seem to be spoiled a-holes who always wear the wrong shoes for a ski resort snow. See what I mean? Nothing makes sense. I'm betting Elyse gets fired or quits next week, but not sure the show is good without her drama. Something needs to change though...fast.


THE OTHER STUFF 

-I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but I heard that the first episode of the second season of Transparent was available on Amazon Prime yesterday, but when I went to watch it, it wasn't there. The full season won't be available until 12/11. Tonight's a big night but I'll check again and see if the first episode is still there or if it was maybe a Cyber Monday only thing. 

-While I was away, David Canary, aka Adam Chandler of All My Children fame died. I was a HUGE AMC fan and a huge Adam AND Stuart fan. RIP DC

-The Fosters was renewed for a 4th Season. I haven't checked out if the new Jesus is hot or not. I probably should go back to this one but I'm heavy in to Ray Donovan right now, so maybe over the break. 

-Supergirl received 20 episodes which isn't a FULL season order, but it's close to one. I'd definitely deem it good news and a success.

-I'm a HUGE Tivo person, if anyone ever asks me about DVRs I always defend the TiVo. You can tell me how much you love whichever DVR you currently have, but I've tried others and to me there is really only winner…TiVo.  Now that some cable operators across the country are adopting the TiVo box, Tivo's getting a bunch of new subscribers. 418K in 3Q 2015 alone brought TiVo's base to 5.5 million which is up 24k vs. this time last year. Happy for the TiVo people. They're making a great product and ALWAYS doing things to improve it. I do have some ideas of my own if anyone out there's a reader though. Viewers need to be able to see what's recording in other rooms, or if you have a Season Pass but it's on another box in the house. Those two things would be a HUGE help! Thanks in advance.

-Just the other day someone asked my son what networks he watches and he said he doesn't watch much ESPN anymore. Yesterday, I read that ESPN lost 7 million subscribers over the last 2 years. Of course they still have 92 million subscribers so they are still the leader by far, but losing subscribers is still NOT GOOD news for any network. 

-More bad Disney news...ABC Family has lost 5 million subscribers over the last 2 years. Can you hear the sound of the stock price dropping?

-Nielsen did a study on the impact Live Tweeting has on TV shows and found out the following:
  • 57% of weekly impressions came from users seeing Tweets related to live airings
  • Posts on Twitter related to a single live TV telecast led to more than half of the weekly Twitter impressions for series programs
  • Viewers use Twitter differently depending on genre
  • For drama and reality programs, live impressions jump 58% and 67% respectively
  • Comedies see just 49% of weekly impressions from live tweeting
  • Conclusion:  Twitter Mentions when a program is not airing live could have more impact for the genre when it is live
Monday's Trivia Question: Tia and Tamara Mowry starred in what TV Show?


WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment