Monday, February 22, 2016

Downton Abbey, Girls, Vinyl & Madam Secretary

Monday February 22, 2016

Still no TV’s at Curtin Bluffs in Antigua. I knew it going in this time and prepared pretty well. Last year, all I had was Jimmy Fallon on YouTube, Netflix, and alcohol to keep the TV withdrawal shakes away.  This year was a whole new ball game. Shout  out to the following for making my vacation Xanax free: 
1) moviehdmaxx.com where we were able to watch  The Intern (Surprisingly enjoyable) , Spectre (Not my thing), Deadpool (LOVED), The  Danish Girl (Good) & Creed (FNL’s MBJ and Sly...AWESOME)  I’m not asking any questions and hoping this site sticks around as long as possible. Use it while ya can folks it’s awesome but I’m betting someone gets wise to this thing and pulls it down soon.  (If you are going to use it, let me know, need to give you a few guiding principles)
2) Netflix was a nice to have, but I didn’t use it as much as I thought I would. I watched MEET THE PATELS (loved) and two new Netflix series: LOVE and COOKED. I'm not done with either one of them yet but enjoying both so far.

3) TIVO! I owned the very first TiVO ever. I’ve never had anything but passionate love for this thing.  It’s only gotten better and better over the years. After the past week of being able to access almost all the shows I recorded at home, my heart has only grown more in love. Sure there were some shows that didn’t allow me to stream them, but that wasn’t TiVO’s fault. It was HBO’s, Showtimes, FX’s and USA’s.  I was still able to watch everyyyyyything else. When I wondered why the F I couldn’t watch Vinyl, Billions, OJ and Suits, I sent Tivosupport a note on Twitter and within seconds they got back to me and confirmed that it was a program licensing thing. While I had their attention, I gave them an idea for an improvement and they thought it was such a great idea they submitted it to their programmers.  I’ll let you know if/when my idea becomes a reality. Interesting that the networks I PAY a PREMIUM for I couldn’t access. I even went so far as to buy the HBO NOW app and still no Vinyl. That’s just wrong.  ( I already cancelled and got my refund) I don’t understand why the authentication process shouldn’t be good enough for all Nets. Isnt’ it supposed to be a TV EVERYWHERE world now?  I WILL take it up with them when I get back to my regular boring life and have nothing better to do but harass cable networks but for now just a huge HEART and a HUGE thank you to Tivo. Like my husband and son…I didn’t think I could love you more than I already do and yet…I do!

THE NUMBERS
Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
Big Bang Theory-CBS 3.8/15.2
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 2.2/7.8
Life in Pieces-CBS 2.1/9.3
American Idol-FOX 2.0/8.1
Mom-CBS 1.8/8.6

Scandal shockingly low! 1.8/6.9
How to Get Away With Murder even LOWER 1.5/4.8
WTF IS HAPPENING? NO wonder Paul Lee resigned!!!

Thursday's Cable Top 5
American Dad-Adult Swim .9/1.9
Vikings-History .8/2.3
NBA-TNT .8/1.9
WWE-USA .8/2.4
Big Bang Theory-TBS .7/1.8

Thursday's Social Media Top 5
Clinton/Sanders Town Hall-MSNBC 295,000 Tweets
AC360 Town Hall-CNN 157,000 Tweets
Scandal-ABC 92,000 Tweets
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 82,000 Tweets
How to Get Away with Murder-ABC 54,000 Tweets

Late Night Ratings for the Week of 2/8/16-2/12/16
Fallon .9/3.4
Colbert .5/2.7
Kimmel .5/2.4
Seth .4/1.5
Corden .3/1.3
Trevor Noah .3/.8
Carson Daly .2/.9
Larry Wilmore .2/.5


THE SHOWS
Madam Secretary
OF COURSE Henry was going to be okay! He couldn't die of radiation poisoning he's the star of the show. For a minute I did think that there was a slight chance for a shocking death, but it's just too soon in this show's life span to kill of the best husband in the world. She'd have to figure out how to be the Secretary of State and handle all the worlds problems, parent teacher conferences AND dating! There's just no way. Pretty sure she wouldn't be allowed to use Tinder either. Henry recovered from radiation poisoning, got released from the hospital, and was visited by POTUS with a job offer in what seemed like 8 hours. Of course I guess in TV time it works. How many explosions has Liz and her family been a part of to date, 3 or 4, right? Has Hillary Clinton EVERbeen in an explosion? Not that I'm aware of. That's a lot of explosions for one family. I mean we're only in the middle of Season 3. The Prez wants Henry going back into the spy biz. He'll go track down terrorists. Dangerous, yes, but now he and his wife can actually talk shop at home.Not sure who'll be able to pick up Chinese with Henry on the move, but I'm sure this couple will make it work.  On a side note, did Allison, the younger daughter get breast implants or was she just wearing a sweater 10 sizes too small? Matt was freaked out by the explosion and stayed at Nadine's place for the night which was sorta weird for him and all of us. I think we didn't expect Nadine's place to be so cool. We got to see a different side of her. A good side for sure, but definitely a bit different. Also unexpected, Matt's ability to throw on an apron and make those cool eggs in the middle of a piece of bread . I try to make them and they NEVER come out right, but again...it's TV so they were just perfect. Does anyone ever really wear an apron in real life? I don't even own an apron and if I did I wouldn't remember to wear it. 


Vinyl
I was realllllly looking forward to this show. I love music, I love the music business, I love Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, Bobby Cannavale and Ray Romano. I was also rooting for HBO. They need a show to put them back on the map pretty badly. Other than Game of Thrones, what do they really have? I wasn't thrilled with the first episode of Vinyl. 2 hours was too much and I was really disappointed that I didn't love it. Then I read a lot about it while I was on vacation. I hear it gets a LOT better in episode 4, so I'm sticking with it.  Last night's episode was a bit better but I'm still not in love the way I want to be. Yes, I love the music, the clothes and the retro stereo equipment that reminds me of my father and I'm a bit obsessed with Max Casella looking NOTHING like Vinnie DelPino, but I really have issues with the characters. I don't like any of them yet. I want to like Richie and Debbie. I want to, but so far, I don't. I was loving Andrew Dice Clay's performance but SPOILER ALERT they killed him. There are some things I just don't think are right. Nobody talked about Lyme's Disease in 1973. Was making a call from a car possible then? Did people have crazy Bat Mitzvah's for 400 people back then? Did people stop smoking when they were pregnant in the early 70's? I don't think so. Can a person survive an entire building falling on them and just get up do some blow and go to work? I'm not admitting to anything, but they don't even do the blow the right way. Go look at Goodfella's for reference. I guess when you hear names like Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger you have very high expectations. So far, I'm just not that impressed and I'm not convinced that giving up Billions or Downton Abbey at 9pm is the right move. I'm sticking with it until episode 4 and then I'll make some decisions. You guys watching? Do you feel the same way?

Downton Abbey
I reallllllly love Downton Abbey. I'm realllllly going to miss it when it's over. Loving the clothes this season. The headband trend came back in the 70's and 80's but they were never as beautiful as the ones Edith and Mary wear. If I recall, when I did wear them, they really itched my forehead and only lasted 20 minutes, but I digress. A lot happened last night. Scandal at Mrs. Patmore's B&B, Anna and Bates actually laughed out loud together, Carson was a total d*ck, Daisy passed her exams, Cassandra Jones turned out to be Spratt and Mosley started teaching. Of course there were some super juicy big moments too. Let's break them down, shall we. First we had Barrow slitting his wrists in the bathtub and not dying. I guess that's one way to tug on everyone's heartstrings and get them to let you keep your job. Next up, Birdy's uncle died and shocker of all shockers, he inherited everything making him higher ranked than the Grantham's. This was devastating news to Lady Mary. So of course once Edith announced her engagement, Lady Mary just had to spill the beans about Marigold and ruin everything for her sister. Lady Mary got her ass kicked by Tom and by Edith. Edith even called her sister the "B" word. GASPPPPPP. Of course Granny came back from France pretty quickly to give Mary the talk she needed to apologize to her sister and get Henry Talbott back and in under 5 minutes, get married. Wouldn't it be cool if he also married Alicia on The Good Wife? Both shows end with him marrying the lead actress. Will can't come back to marry her, he's dead, so Finn would be a nice ending for me. 


Girls
I hate this show so much. I thought maybe just maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but no. Of course it is. Marnie's getting married to a freak and all of it is horrible. Marnie's horrible, Dez is horrible, the bridesmaids dresses are horrible, Hannah's horrible, Hannah and Fran having sex in the car at the wedding is horrible, Marnie's Mom is horrible even though she is Rita Wilson. Shoshanna is horrible, Jessa's horrible. Hannah's tattoo's are horrible, the only thing that isn't horrible is that now, Kylo Ren from Star Wars: The Force Awakens is still in the show. He should have used the force and killed everyone and just ended the show for good. I will stick with this mess til the bitter end, because for some twisted bizarro reason, I feel the need to. I just can't delete the Season Pass and be done with it. Every single time it ends I say out loud to nobody...is it me? What is so genius about this show? WHAT???? NOTHING!!! IT SUCKS, the characters are all horrible people that I don't like or care about. I DON'T GET IT! 
 

THE OTHER STUFF


I had a whole loooooooooong list of news items and witty comments from last week, but after re-reading them, I realized it was already old news so I bagged all of it. 

-I do have a few of my favorite late night clips from last week for you guys. Even though they're "old" they're still too good to not share.  It's my WWTM duty to insure that you see these. 

First up, from the Grammy's, Car Karaoke with James Corden and Justin Bieber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn0YDZ3wifU

Also from Grammy night...Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets Music Edition #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8bUT8UXUA

This one's long but hilarious...Steven Colbert's Wheel of News segment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWTvVjuXuho

If you haven't seen Deadpool yet, you REALLLLLLY should, it's such a great twist on the superhero genre. James Corden loved it so much, he wanted in on the action. Check it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udmek2zsURo

-The Rock and Kevin Hart will be hosting the MTV Movie Awards on April 10th. I guess the site gag part of it alone will be worth checking out. 

-I don't normally report on gossip but it's SUCH huge news for all of us Big Brother fans that I just have to discuss the big Hollywood breakup of the week. Liz and Austin from last Summer are officially O V E R! Devastating news. Actually more like shocking. Shocking that they lasted this long! Austin shaved that hideous baby beard for Liz and now all he has to show for it is a naked chin and a broken heart. If you'd have bet me a million dollars that they would have lasted more than a week outside the BB house I would have taken that bet...6 months is insane. RIP Lizstin. 

Monday's Oscar Trivia Question: The Oscars are this coming Sunday so this week is OSCAR week. Here we go: Which one of these movies was NOT a Best Picture winner:
The Color Purple
Birdman
Slumdog Millionaire
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty

WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at tvnme
http://watchingwaytoomuch.com
kristy@watchingwaytoomuch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment