Monday, April 22, 2013

BINGE VIEWING- A SPECIAL REPORT

I'm sure you guys think that all I do is WATCH TV, but I do read a lot about TV, TV history, current TV trends and technology. I'm really very interested in consumption habits and how they are changing. One fave subject at the moment is Binge Viewing. This is what I did with Scandal and House of Cards and will probably do with Arrested Development when its released too.  For anyone living under a rock, Binge Viewing is when a viewer will watch or consume multiple episodes of a TV series in a row. Perfect example...I watched 26 episodes of Scandal in 6 days. While I thought I was a freak and needed a support group, turns out, I'm really doing what a lot of other people are doing:

  • 8 out of 10 US adult Internet users watched TV online on their own schedule
  • Of those consumers, 41% did so through a cable or satellite on-demand service
  • 41% did so through a web based streaming service like Hulu, Hulu Plus, or Netflix.
  • 37% used a recording device like TiVO or DVR
  • 29% watched physical DVDs
  • Of those who have watched TV on their own schedules, 62% watched multiple episodes of a TV show in succession
  • 78% of 18-29 year olds binge viewed
  • 73% of 30-39 year olds binge viewed
  • 58% of 40-54 year olds binge viewed
  • 22% binged viewed older shows or past seasons of current shows
  • 12% binge viewed current shows
Take a Look:

US Timeshifted TV Viewers Who Have Binge-Viewed TV Series, by Demographic, Feb 2013 (% of respondents in each group)

Ways that US Internet Users Have Watched Timeshifted TV Series, by Demographic, Feb 2013 (% of respondents in each group)

No comments:

Post a Comment