Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lots of catching up plus maybe a little too much Jimmy...for you guys...not me.




THE ANSWER TO TUESDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: Doc Severnson was Johnny Carson's band leader
FIRST FIVES: Sue MacNamara, Dan Realson, Jim Carter, Mike O'Dea & Larry Price
HONORABLE MENTION: Karen Heniger

THE NUMBERS 

Friday's Cable Top 5
Gold Rush-Discovery 1.3/3.7
NBA All Star Game-ESPN 1.1/2.4
NBA All Star Rising Stars-TNT .8/1.7
Bering Sea Gold-Discovery .8/2.2
Modern Family-USA .7/1.4

Sunday's Cable Top 5
NA

Monday's Broadcast Top 5
Winter Olympics-NBC 5.6/23.1
The Bachelor-ABC 2.2/7.6
Castle-ABC 1.7/7.7
The Following-FOX 1.7/5.1
Almost Human-FOX 1.6/5.2

Monday's Cable Top 5 
NA

Monday's Top 5 Nielsen Twitter Ratings 
Teen Wolf-MTV 425,400 Tweets
Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon-NBC 157,600 Tweets
Basketball Wives-VH1 155,100 Tweets 
 WWE Monday Night Raw-USA 149,800 Tweets
The Bachelor-ABC 119,800 Tweets

Top 5 DVRed shows for the week of 1/27/14-2/2/14
Big Bang Theory-CBS From a 5.2 to a 7.7 (+48%)
Blacklist-NBC From a 2.5 to a 4.6 (+84%)
Elementary-CBS From a 1.9 to a 3.5 (+84%)
The Following-FOX From a 2.0 to a 3.5 (+75%)
How I Met Your Mother-CBS From a 3.8 to a 5.2 (+37%)

The fact of the matter is that premieres and finales, in general, always do well and always generate strong interest and strong buzz. The next week or two there will be a lot of stunting and a lot of sampling in the new late night landscape. So it's hard to say what will really happen once everything settles down in a few weeks, but...here are the numbers anyway. We all love numbers and I am SUPER proud of Jimmy Fallon so here they are:
  • The Tonight Show aired 30 minutes later than it normally will due to Olympics, so keep that in mind.
  • The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon was seen by 11.3 million people and delivered a 3.8 RA18-49
  • The show debut delivered a 7.1 Household rating, in the 56 local markets metered by Nielsen.  
  • The show was the #1 non-Olympic telecast versus all primetime and late-night programming Monday night on ABC, CBS and Fox in metered-market households.
  • The show was the top-rated late-night talk-show telecast ever for Jimmy Fallon.
  • The show was up 48% versus the 4.8 for the Friday, Feb. 7 finale of “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” which aired at 12:05 a.m. following primetime Olympics coverage. It was also Fallon’s previous high for his late-night talk show.
  • The show tied for the second-highest Tonight Show since Friday, May 29, 2009 which was an 8.8 household rating, for Leno’s last telecast before Conan O’Brien took over as host 
  • The show was up versus “Tonight’s” season-to-date average in the metered markets by +145% (7.1 vs. 2.9).
THE SHOWS

I was all over the place last night catching up on stuff in between Olympic events. Kelly Ripa was wearing two different shoes on purpose, Bradley Cooper still lives with his Mom and it took 3 hours to get his hair in 108 rollers every day during the American Hustle shoot. Anderson Cooper has never worn corduroys and all 3 of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit models are married. I know I watched Cougar Town, but I think I fell asleep during the process, so Ill have to rewatch later. First stand-up comedian on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon...Jerry Seinfeld with a funny bit about cell phones and the US Postal Service.  I'm pretty sure that NBC bleeped him unnecessarily. Jerry doesn't curse, but I think NBC thinks he did. I've replayed it a few times. No profanity NBC, relax.

THE OTHER STUFF

Gotta admit Ellen and I didn't see CeeLo Green's announcement that he wasn't returning to The Voice next Fall coming. I hadn't heard that, hadn't read it anywhere, nothing. Huge surprise and Ellen definitely wasn't prepared for the news either. Not sure yet if there is more to this story or not. I'll let you know if there is. 

A bit of housekeeping. I need to thank one of my favorite readers for bringing something to my attention that I really wish I realized yesterday. Here's why I truly, truly love Jimmy Fallon in a non-sexual, platonic, best friend way. I know you're getting sick of me already but bare with me a minute. 49 years ago to the day, Monday, February 17th 1965,  Joan Rivers made her very first appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. She killed and was a regular guest for many years. Joan even became Johnny's permanent guest host in 1983. In 1987, Joan got a gig in late night over on another network and Johnny never spoke to her again. She was never invited back even after her show failed. Johnny never called her when her husband committed suicide, nothing. Jay Leno also never had her on his show. Not sure why, maybe Johnny made that part of the deal, who the heck knows. First night of Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show and who came on stage to welcome him (and give him 100 bucks) Joan Rivers. I've always loved Joan and thought that Johnny and Jay were total d*cks for treating her the way they did. People make mistakes. I have no idea if Jimmy Fallon reads my blog, in my delusional mind, he does and if he's reading this today, I just want to tell him what a classy move that was. Again, so proud. Anyone know what Kvelling is? That's what I'm doing. (Hope I spelled it right) 

We already knew that Showtime renewed my fave, Episodes, but now good news for all of you guys who love House of Lies and Shameless. Both have also been renewed for another 12 episode season. 

Another renewal that I'm sort of happy about, HBO's difficult but funny to watch show, Get On has been given another 6 episode order. 

During last nights live episode of American Idol, FOX experimented with an interesting commercial idea. I give the network a lot of credit for trying to find ways not only for fans to be engaged during the commercial break, but to almost force their gaze up a few inches away from their mobile devices and on to the actual TV screen. During the entire break, the shows cameras continued to roll and we could see the stage in the upper right hand corner of our screens while the Pantene spot and all the others in the pod ran. I'm sure the intention was to provide access to what's going on live during the break, but the problem was...nothing happened at all. A bit of movement on the stage, some chit chatting between the producers and the judges but that was really it. I think there's something here, I think there's potential in this new model. It needs work, but it's good...go with it.

I met Jordin Levin a million years ago when he ran the WB Network. That's what the CW was before it was the CW. They had the frog, The Wayans Brothers and Sister Sister. Anyway, he's done quite a few things since leaving the WB, but now he has a pretty cool new job with Xbox. He's in charge of producing original programming for them.  I'm wondering what program could be on an Xbox that could possibly stop teenage boys from playing Call of Duty or NBA 2K14 that doesn't have boobs or pizza as its stars.

Wednesday's Trivia Question: When Joan Rivers ventured into late night, what network was her show on?

WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment