Thursday, February 5, 2015

Empire, Suits, Fresh of the Boat & Modern Family





THE ANSWER TO WEDNESDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince were the first artist to win for Rap/Hip Hop in 1989
FIRST FIVES: Denise Verzi, Mike O'Dea, Bobby Aguilera, Cheryl Lasack & Monica Caraffa
HONORABLE MENTION: Michelle Mullings

THE NUMBERS 

Tuesdays Broadcast Top 5
NCIS-CBS 2.6/18.6
NCIS: New Orleans-CBS 2.2/16.5
Shark Tank-ABC 1.9/7.1
Chicago Fire-NBC 1.6/6.5
MasterChef Junior-FOX 1.6/4.9

Tuesday's Cable Top 5
Being Mary Jane-BET 1.2/2.3
American Dad-Adult Swim 1.1/2.3
Big Bang Theory-TBS 1.0/2.8
Moonshiners-Discovery .9/2.6
Haves and Have Nots-OWN .9/2.8

Tuesday's Twitter Top 5 Primetime Ratings 
Pretty Little Liars-ABC Family 132,000 Tweets
Being Mary Jane-BET 132,000 Tweets
The Flash-CW 43,000 Tweets
Tonight Show-NBC 26,000 Tweets
Parks & Rec-NBC 24,000 Tweets 

THE SHOWS 

Fresh off the Boat
I won't be on board the Fresh boat every week, but if there's nothing in my DVR, this is a cute show to tune into for 30 minutes. It's really all about Eddie, the very Americanized hilarious, rap loving, eldest Huang son. The Huang's moved to Orlando from Washington DC and everyone's trying to figure stuff out for themselves. Louis, the Dad opened up a steak place but it's not doing well and he's not sure why, so he hired Mitch (Paul Scheer, the guy from The League) to be the "white host" because let's face it, you don't think steak when you see Louis at the front door, you think General Taos Chicken. Jessica, the Mom is tough on her kids but even tougher with anyone who tries to mess with them. The Florida humidity's doing a number on her hair as are the rollerblade b*tches in the neighborhood. In addition to Eddie, the Huang's have two other younger sons. Who are just cute enough. This all takes place in 1995 so like Hindsight, lots of great music. In addition to "I Saw the Signs" and "Something to Talk About" there was also some Melrose Place chat and a Lunchables shout out/product placement. Like I said, cute, but only if there's nothing else in the DVR and tonight, prior to 9pm, there wasn't.  

Empire
Lucious shmooshish…it's ALL about Cookie, she is the BOMB! She secretly testified for the Feds and found out that the guy she testified against shot an undercover agent. This freaked her out big time. Then someone left a rose on her doorstep so she got out her gun, and grabbed a cab to Philly to find a friend and put a hit out on the guy who she thought left the rose. One problem, it wasn't the guy she thought It was.  Lucious left her the rose as an anniversary present. Of course she tried to call off the hit, but toooooo late. Dude was dead. Tianna's secret GIRLFRIEND was no longer a secret (there are no secrets on TV) thanks to Dre and his wife who sent a video of them making out to Perez Hilton. Hakeem freaked out for a minute, but got over it pretty quick.  Lucious and Cookie used the news to help blow out Hakeem's new song. I thought the song was called "Drip Dry" but then after hearing it 10 thousand times, and seeing the title on the screen, I realized it was "Drip Drop" both references are nasty but the song's now stuck in my head and I can't get it out. Over on the other side of town while Hakeem was putting together his million dollar video, Jamal was getting shot at in a ghetto studio (Cookie's words, not mine) laying down his new song. Whose song will be bigger? Let's wait and see.  Lucious proposed to Anika with a private piano player and an 18 carat rock big enough for my entire family to ice skate on. Of course she said yes, who says no to 18 carats? Anika's Mom and Dad stopped by to wish the happy couple Mazel Tov but then Lucious told Steve, Anika's Dad, who just so happens to be a doctor, about his ALS. Then asked him to write a letter of good health for his IPO to go through. Steve said yes provided it stayed a secret from Anika. See above and then trust me, Anika will find out at some point. Anyone notice Cookie's giant gold clam table top thing? What was up with that? Where does one buy a giant gold clam shell? Do they sell it in the same store where you'd find giant gold chains? Is there a giant gold items store somewhere? Could be fun to check out on a rainy day. 




Modern Family
I got soooo excited when Phil decided to give Luke his space and replace him with Manny Andy aka Mandy. I think this should be a permanent thing. The less Luke, the better.  It's official, the writers have run out of ideas so they borrowed one from The Brady Bunch. Baby Joe had a rash and Gloria thought he was allergic to Stella the dog, so Jay had Mitch and Cam take the dog for a week but wahhhh wahhhh Joe was allergic to Gloria's new face cream. Of course Cam fell in love with Stella and didn't want to give her back. Alex pretended to be Haley to get into Princeton and Mitch pretended to be cool to get all of the staff at the Closet company to like him. While there were some funny moments with Mitch and the staff, it really made no sense that Mitch's company would let him take time off to do pro bono work at his Jay's company. Why would a closet company need pro bono work? Mitch didn't even do any work while he was there. Come on guys…think it through. 

Suits
My family has been binge watching Suits and finally caught up to the live episodes. Last night was the first episode we watched in real time. We chose that over Nashville and The Americans. We love Suits. You know a show is good when you can't decide which character is your favorite? I think my favorite is Louis Litt, but maybe it's Donna or is it Harvey or Mike? Of course I have a girl crush on Rachel but who is my favorite? I change my mind all the time. I always love the movie references. Last night it was Iceman, Viper and Maverick (bonus points if you can name the movie). I just found out that Professor Gerard is played by Stephen Macht, who is Harvey's real life Dad. I don't have a high powered NY lawyer in my life at the moment, but I'm curious to know if they really do over dress for work everyday and have offices bigger than my house. 
THE OTHER STUFF

-Jimmy's been saving it up for his LA trip. This clip is awesomeeeeeeee. I don't want to say one word. Just watch. All I can say is EVERYONE LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME, only the mobile phones have changed. http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/111171

-Also on Jimmy's show last night, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model for 2015 was revealed. Hannah Davis is this years cover girl. She's stunning, and definitely deserves it but do you think her BF had any pull? Name him for bonus points. 

-I want to thank the Academy…for moving the Emmy's out of my Summer vacation week and back to September! Yeah! Now I can continue to consume my Skinny Girl Pina Colada's on the beach and not worry about missing the sunset to get back inside for Red Carpet coverage. Anddddd, I can reinstate the Emmy's Pool! THANK YOU ACADEMY!

-CBS was going along at such a good clip, but they can't win um all, even if Les can make it sound that way. The McCarthy's has been pulled from the schedule with 4 episodes still in the can. I'm sure sooner or later they'll air them somewhere but come on, is anyone freaking out about seeing those last 4? Nobody I know. I do feel bad for Joey McIntyre but now there's more time for him to practice his NKOTB dance moves. 

-I gave up on Bravo's Girlfriends Guide to Divorce but it seems like quite a few people have stuck with it. Good news for those women who did (No way guys are watching this one) Season 2 is a go! I hope Janeane Garofalo's contract wasn't renewed with it. She's what turned me off to the show completely. Even the way she spells her name bugs the sh*t out of me. 

-At last years upfronts, I met and spoke with Milo Ventimiglia for a while. Pretty cool guy. He produces and stars in Chosen on Crackle which I really think you all should check out. It's on my Binge List. You also probably know him from Heroes and Gilmore Girls (Name his character for bonus points.) Big news for him and for my husband, he's heading over to Gotham. Congrats to Milo! 

-Tribune's another one going with Rentrak for local market ratings, just thought I'd share for all of my local buddies out there. 

Thursday's Trivia Question: Name the male artist who has won the most Grammy's in one night. Bonus if you know the year in which he won them all. 

WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment