Monday, February 16, 2015

Saturday Night Live 40th Annivesary




THE ANSWER TO FRIDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: The lists were long and impressive but I've learned my lesson, you guys like questions…not list requests! 

FIRST FIVES: Dave DeSocio, Karen Perry, Bobby Aguilera, Caryn Vitolo & Millie Gerstein
HONORABLE MENTION: Karen Feldman

THE NUMBERS 

Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
Scandal-ABC 3.1/9.3
How to Get Away with Murder-ABC 2.7/8.4
American Idol-2.3/9.6
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 2.3/7.8
Big Bang Theory-CBS 2.1/11.3

For the record The Slap did a 1.1/5.1 and finished in 4th place at 8pm. Looks like everyone agreed with me. Lesson learned, don't give away the best part of a show during the promos!

Thursday's Cable Top 5
American Dad-Adult Swim 1.0/2.3
NBA Basketball-TNT .9/2.0
WWE Smackdown-Syfy .8/2.5
Big Bang Theory-TBS .7/1.8
Toy Story 3-Disney .7/2.8

Thursday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
Scandal-ABC 281,000 Tweets
How to Get Away With Murder-ABC 94,000 Tweets
The Vampire Diaries-CW 76,000 Tweets
Grey's Anatomy-ABC 75,000 Tweets
The Slap-NBC 19,000 Tweets (I wonder if the sentiment was all negative?)

THE SHOWS 

I don't have many regrets to date. Really I don't, but my friends at NBC invited me to the SNL 40th Anniversary viewing party and then the AFTER party at The Plaza last night but I didn't go. Verizon isn't closed today and the After party didn't START until 11:30pm I just didn't think I'd make it. I should have taken the day off and gone. I'm an idiot. 

SNL's 40th Anniversary Special Red Carpet

  • Matt, Savannah, Al and Carson hosted the festivities. 
  • Quite a threesome, Sarah Palin, Alec and hIlaria Baldwin. Wonder if Alec and hIlaria had garlic or something for dinner. They were both chewing gum like cows.
  • Sarah Palin looked great but man is she an idiot. She told Alec she liked his brother better than him on live television.
  • Eddie Murphy looked super cool in blue with a beautiful girl on his arm. He said he hasn't been back to 30 Rock in 32 years and he never gets nervous. Must be nice. 
  • In case you were wondering, Dan Ackroyd was promoting his very own vodka with that Crystal Head hat he was wearing. I checked it out. The bottle is actually a crystal head. Hence the name. Take a look: http://crystalheadvodka.com/home
  • Dan and Jim Belushi both  put on a few pounds since I've seen them last, but guys can SO get away with it. 
  • Fan's voted on favorite SNL skit by decade. 70's Fave: Cheeseburger Cheeseburger: http://www.hulu.com/watch/3533
  • Lorne Michaels kids look a lot like him. One of them could be his twin, didn't catch that one's name. 
  • Paul Simon flew 19 hours to be at the show last night. Poor planning on his part. He's good friends with Lorne, I'm sure he knew about the show for at least a year. They talked about it at the Upfronts last May, so we really can't feel THAT bad for him.
  • Melissa McCarthy looked like she lost a little weight. I still wonder if she'd be as funny if she was skinny. Look at Al Roker. He freaks me out with his new skeleton look and he definitely doesn't seem as jolly as I used to think he was.
  • Awkward Jim Carrey, Matt, Savannah and Tina Fey moment when he asked about Brian Williams.
  • Will Farrell was surprisingly serious on the Red Carpet, but he had a great point. Luck plays a big part in so much of SNL's casting. 
  • Amy Poehler is one of my current girl crushes. Just read her book. Now I'm more in love.
  • Mike Myers looked sooooo rubbery and he was just as annoyed with his hair as I was. 
  • Dave Chappelle's never been on SNL, he was only there to meet  Eddie Murphy. 
  • Al Roker totally blew off Chappelle for JB Smoove. Odd move, Al.
  • OMG Bobbbbby DeNiro. I forgot that he hosted 3 times. 
  • Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani (America's Mayor) both hosted and both walked the Red Carpet. Rudy and Judith looked happy together. Rudy needs to get bigger, he had marks on his face from wearing ones that don't fit. Donald and Melania didn't look as happy as Rudy and Judy, did they?
  • Billy Crystal's fave cast member of all time was John Belushi. I love Billy Crystal (he has a new show coming out on FX called The Comedians. It's really pretty good. Billy looked Mahhhhhvelous!
  • Jessica Seinfeld looked hideous there's no way Jerry doesn't have jokes he's holding back on her hair alone. No way
  • Fan Fave SNL Skit of the 80's: Mr Robinson's Neighborhood http://www.hulu.com/watch/4189
  • Fan Fave SNL Skit of the 90's : Celebrity Jeopardy http://www.hulu.com/watch/12203
  • Molly Shannon's the cutest. She makes me laugh just looking at her. (In a good way)
  • Kristen Wiig looked soooooo good with her choppy hair. Maya Rudolph was another member of the Baldwin Gum Chewers Club
  • The second I see Andy Samberg I automatically think of D*ck in a Box http://www.hulu.com/watch/1596
  • Martin Short, also a rubbery looking guy, never auditioned for SNL. Neither did Billy Crystal or Christopher Guest. Didn't know that.
  • New theory after Sean Hayes interrupted Martin Short with a gum offer…everyone (other than hIlaria Baldwin who is pregnant) must have smoked weed in their limos or backstage. Has to be, right? Why else would everyone be in need of gum?
  • Something was up with Chevy Chase. Obviously has some big time regrets in quitting the show after 1 Season. He seemed sort of sad. Sad and sweaty. 
  • How amazing is Jon Bon Jovi's gray hair? It's PERFECTION
  • Peyton Manning's a pretty cooooool guy isn't he?
  • Fan Fave of the 2000's: Stefan (My fave too!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8osfRW-KTgc
SNL 40th Anniversary Special
I originally went with bullet points for the entire 40th Anniversary Special, but after re-reading them, they just didn't do the show justice. NBC will be re-running the show again this Friday night. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who was into the NBA All Star Game, Downton, Girls, Real Housewives, Storage Wars or anything else last night. This show was AWESOME. It was produced really, really well and provided an amazing trip down memory lane and the tribute it deserved. There were looks back at classic skits and new live ones that will one day make the cut in the next anniversary special. There were some great musical numbers and some not so great musical numbers. I'm pretty sure there were more celebrities, athletes, musicians, and political figures at 30 Rock last night than any award show, fundraiser, or special I've ever seen. Who wasn't there? OMG the list goes on and on. Of course there were many who had passed away or couldn't be there to celebrate and all of them and the characters they made famous were honored. There were some shaky moments too, but that's why the show was so perfect. It was live. There were some problems with the cue cards, Paul McCartney had some trouble with "Maybe I'm Amazed" Kanye was a freak, and the Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase tributes were awkward. For 3 1/2 hours I had a huge smile on my face and felt very nostalgic. I was 8 SNL started and so much came flooding back to me while I was watching. Not just the comedy, the comedians, and the music, but the times, the clothes, the Monday's in High School when we all recapped every skit, watching in college BEFORE we went out to party, watching with my fiance in our first apartment and watching now with my husband and our 13 year old. Truly a great, great night. Wish I was there. 

Some highlights:
The original audition tapes http://www.hulu.com/watch/751645
Miley Cyrus's "50 Ways to Leave Your Love" http://www.hulu.com/watch/751660
Andy Samberg and Adam Sandler's "That's When You Break" http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snl-40th-anniversary-andy-samberg-773772

THE OTHER STUFF 

-Totally missed the ball on my Nashville prediction. I don't know why I didn't see it but all of you guys are SO right. Deacon's daughter Maddie will OF COURSE be the perfect match not Rayna or his sister Beverly. What is wrong with me? Hope I'm not losing my mojo. Maddie's the match and that's going to cause a TON of trouble. How in the world did I miss that one? Thanks for not coming down too hard on me.

-I've never watched Ground Floor, now I never will, TBS cancelled it after 2 Seasons.

-Is it my imagination or is transgender everywhere these days. Transgender's like vampires were a few years back or cupcakes or greek yogurt. I think it started when Chasity went to Chas. (I'm not counting Pat from SNL because we have no proof) Then we had Laverne Cox in Orange is the New Black, then Transparent won the Golden Globe as Best Comedy (show's SO not funny) then Bruce Jenner, Coach Beast from Glee and now the new ABC Family show My Transparent Life.#Transgender. It's already trending.

-Writers Guild of America Awards were given out over the weekend. Here are the TV winners:
True Detective won for New Series & Drama Series
The Good Wife won for Episodic Drama
Louie won for Comedy Series and Episodic Comedy
Tonight with John Oliver won Comedy/Variety Series
The Golden Globes won the Comedy/Variety Special
Hollywood Game Night won for Quiz and Audience Participation

-I have no idea if I've mentioned this before, but I use these two websites a lot when I'm trying to find out if somethings available to view online. These sites tell you what sites have it an if it's free or what the costs are if you have to pay to view. You can also have it alert you when something you're interested in seeing becomes available. 
http://www.canistream.it/
http://www.wheretowatch.com/

I know a bunch of you guys are huge Howard Stern fans, like me. If you're a huge fan and have been listening for a while, this video's for you. It's hilarious. Enjoy. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYrM1zYNCU

It's OSCAR WEEK!!! Soooo… Oscar Trivia All Week! 
Monday's Trivia Question: Big stars, usually the biggest stars, present the Best Picture award each year. Who presented last year's Best Picture award and what movie won Best Picture last year? 


WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment