Monday, December 7, 2015

Kingdom, The Wiz & A Very Murray Christmas




THE ANSWER TO FRIDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: Last weeks theme was SISTERS!


FIRST FIVES: Jo Engel, Mike O'Dea, Karen Feldman, Caryn Vitolo & Rachel Snyder
HONORABLE MENTION: Brett Blattman


THE NUMBERS 

Thursday's Broadcast Top 5
Thursday Night Football - CBS 3.5/12.9
The Wiz Live - NBC 3.4/11.5
Thursday Night Football Pregame - NBC 2.4/10.3
CMA Country Christmas - ABC 1.0/5.7
Shrek the Halls-ABC 1.0/4.1

Thursday's Cable Top 5
NFL Network - NFL 1.5/3.7
Big Bang Theory-TBS .7/1.9
American Dad-Adult Swim .7/1.5
Big Screen Movie-ABC Family .7/2.0
WWE Smackdown-.6/2.0

Thursday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
The Wiz Live-NBC 1,637,000 Tweets
WWE Smackdown-Syfy 38,000 Tweets
CMA Country Christmas-ABC 27,000 Tweets
The Vampire Diaries-CW 23,000 Tweets
The Originals-CW 18,000 Tweets

Friday's Broadcast Top 5
Shark Tank-ABC 1.6/6.1
Last Man Standing-ABC 1.3/6.6
Dr Ken-ABC 1.2/5.3
20/20-ABC 1.2/4.9
The Amazing Race-CBS 1.1/5.7

Friday's Cable Top 5
NA

Friday's Top 5 Primetime Twitter Ratings
America's Next Top Model-CW 34,000 Tweets
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Awards-NBC Sports 9,000 Tweets
Shark Tank-ABC 6,000 Tweets
Bellator MMA Live-Spike 6,000 Tweets
Tonight Show-NBC 4,000 Tweets

Early Morning Ratings for the week of 11/23/15
GMA 1.5/1.7
Today 1.5/1.8
CBS This Morning .9/1.0

Late Night Ratings for the Week of 11/23/15-11/27/15
Fallon 1.2/4.2
Kimmel .6/2.6
Colbert .5/2.5
Seth .6/1.9
Corden .3/1.3
Carson .3/1.0
Conan .2/.4
Wilmore .1/.3

THE SHOWS 
Kingdom
I'm pretty sure that in the history of this blog, I've NEVER asked you guys to actually go and PAY to watch any specific program. I'm not talking about cable, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. I'm talking about spending $30 bucks to purchase an entire season of a show. Have I ever asked you to do that? I don't think so, but I'm too lazy to go back and check 4 years of blog posts to confirm. I know it's the holidays and you have a list of people you need to buy gifts for, but give yourself the gift of this show. I'm completely obsessed with it. I know I've written about this one before, after I binged all of the first season, last Summer, but I just got caught up on Season 2. Waiting for the next episode to be available is like waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven. Kingdom is a Direct TV original series, but you can purchase episodes of it on iTunes and Amazon and I'm really hoping you do.  First of all, there's no other show like it anywhere on any platform. At least not that I'm aware of. It's a gritty, intense, drama that centers on an MMA gym in Venice California but really, it's about a family. Definitely not a traditional family, in fact these people are all so incredibly flawed, and so incredibly complex, and yet they are all beautiful in some way. The acting is truly remarkable. It is going to kill me when Jonathan Tucker, Matt Lauria and Frank Grillo DON'T get nominated for their work in this show but not only should they be nominated, Jonathan Tucker should win. None of them will even be mentioned because word of mouth hasn't spread on this one yet.  It needs to. I'm making it my mission to help the cause. If you don't have Hulu or Amazon Prime...get it. If you have a friend with Direct TV ask them if they'd "lend" you their password. If you don't have a friend with Direct TV, or if you'd rather not commit to one of the services, go to iTunes and just buy one episode to check it out. Give this gift to yourself and then...lets talk Navy St!

A Very Murray Christmas
I love music, but Christmas music makes me nuts. I try REALLY hard to NOT listen to Christmas music until Christmas week. Not an easy thing to do these days as it's EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, because of this, I really don't watch a lot of Christmas specials at all now that my son's older and not into them, but when it's Netflix, Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola all working together on one, OF COURSE I'm curious. So, Saturday morning, I checked out A Very Murray Christmas and I will admit that I liked it. It has a very old school feel to it. It's a bit cheesy in that old school way and while Bill doesn't actually play his famous SNL lounge singer, I still felt like he was there in a way, just older, more depressed and serious, but still enjoyable. Of course we all thought George Clooney, one of Bill's BFF's would be in the entire thing, but he doesn't show up until the very end. Other cameos included Amy Poehler, Buster Poindexter, Miley Cyrus, Rashida Jones, Jason Schwartzman and my favorite Maya Rudolph. With the exception of Miley, nobody's who sings is really known for their singing which made it all sort of interesting. Paul Schaefer's the piano player and we see a little too much of him and his hands throughout the special. Do you NEED to see this thing? No, but if you have an hour and your sick of the same old Christmas specials, I'd say check it out.   

The Wiz
I was out late Thursday night when The Wiz aired live, so we decided to watch it last night as a family. I honestly didn't think my guys would stick with it, but, we all enjoyed it. I couldn't get over the costumes and the sets. Ne-yo's tin man outfit was insane and Queen Latifah and Mary J. Blige's costumes were just unbelievable. The girl that played Dorothy, Shanice Williams, can definitely sing, but she needs some work on her facial expressions, she seemed to always look like an annoyed Mila Kunis to me. Who knew Uzo Aduba from Orange is the New Black could sing? Stephanie Mills, the original Dorothy, played Auntie Em in this version. It was definitely fun to watch. If you missed it, and didn't DVR it, no worries, NBC's running it again on 12/19.

After The Wiz last night, I was all over the place. Coming off a HUGE Jets win, I tuned in to see the Patriots lose which was very enjoyable then a little of the Sunday night game, a little Homeland which I still have to finish and a little of that Sinatra special on CBS. Hey when you start a show with Adam Levine in a tux...it's gonna get my attention. I only watched about 30 minutes of it, but Zac Brown's "The Way You Look Tonight" was awesome. I'll have to go back and finish everything up tonight. 
 
THE OTHER STUFF

-The Wiz Live was the most tweeted live special in Nielsen history
279,363  authors sent 1.6 million tweets which were seen by 6.3 million people a total of 128.9 million times
Compare those numbers to Peter Pan which was had 199,621 authors who sent 450,000 Tweets seen by 5.2 million people a total of 68.7 million times and of course the one that started it all…The Sound of Music Live when 147,212 subscribers posted 474,735 Tweets seen by 5.32 million people 106.8 million times.

- TLC renewed my favorite transgender show, I Am Jazz, for a 2nd season and CNBC renewed Jay Leno's Garage for a 2nd season, so both Carruba's are happy this morning with that news.

-Showtime's offering a 30 day free trial right now. Great time to catch up on so many awesome shows like: Homeland, Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie & Masters of Sex. Plus shows I never watched like Shameless, The Tudors, The Borias, Californication and House of Lies. http://www.sho.com/sho/order/5/ott?s_cid=psm-default-1297

Monday's Trivia Question: Lets see who remembers the original Wiz Movie Cast. I will admit, I had to look some of them up:
Dorothy
Scarecrow
Tin Man
Lion
The Wiz


WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme

No comments:

Post a Comment