Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ray Donovan, Roadies, UnReal and a few Recommendations

Congratulations to Monica Caraffa for taking back the WWTM Monthly Trivia Contest title in June. I'd love to see more people participate. The prize is pretty good, so get your answers in every day!!! Slates are wiped clean…lets do it in July!!!

7/5/16

Trivia Answer: The theme last week was America or 4th of July or Independence Day. I gave anyone who came close the points
First Fives: Bobby Aguilera, Chuck Chiocco, Karen Feldman, Mike O'Dea & Monica Caraffa

Honorable Mention: Kelly Rogers 

THE NUMBERS
Friday's Broadcast Top 5
Olympic Trials Track N Field-NBC 1.0/4.7
Olympic Trials Swimming-NBC 1.0/4.6
20/20-ABC .9/4.5
Shark Tank-ABC .8/3.9
Dateline-NBC .8/3.8

Friday's Cable Top 5
NA

Friday's Social Media Top 5
NA

Sunday's Broadcast Top 5
Big Brother-CBS 1.3/4.7
Celebrity Family Feud-ABC 1.1/6.2
Match Game-ABC 1.1/5.6
Olympic Trials-NBC .8/3.9
American Ninja Warrior-NBC .7/2.8

Sunday's Cable Top 5
NA

Sunday's Social Media Top 5
NA

Late Night Ratings For the Week of 6/2016-6/24/16
Fallon  7/2.9 
Colbert .4/2.2
Kimmel .4/2.1
Seth .3/3.0
Corden .3/2.0
Carson .2/2.0
Trevor .2/.7
Conan .2/.4
Larry .1/.5

Morning Show ratings for the Week of 6/20/16-624/16
Today 1.3/1.5
GMA 1.2/1.3
CBS This AM .8/.9 


THE SHOWS
Roadies
Okay so episode 2 was definitely better than episode 1 but there's still something missing and I'm still not sure what it is.  Luke Wilson's okay, Carla Gugino's okay, but so far, the only character I'm actually interested in is Kelly Ann. I've never seen Imogen Poots before. Love the name Poots and without her in this show, I'd be out. One more episode before my final ruling. I'll be totally bummed if both shows about the music biz end up sucking. I was really hoping for a winner here. If Scorsese, Jagger and Crowe can't get it right, who can? 

Ray Donovan
I owe whoever told me to get in on Ray Donovan the hugest thank you. I know it was a few of you guys but damn Ray is good. It's so unpredictable and unlike Roadies, I care about EVERY character on the show. They're all so complex and interesting. Now, they've added Lisa Bonet and DAMN does she do messed up well. She looks gorgeous even though she's a crackhead. I'm sort of confused about Hector. We know he's sleeping with his half-sister, but is he also gay? How funny was it when Abby took Bunchy vibrator shopping? I'm totally dating myself here, but doesn't Lena remind you of Leather Tuscadero from Happy Days? I know I say this every time I write about Ray Donovan but Eddie Marson, the dude that plays Terry, NEEDS an Emmy. He's just brilliant. Terry does pretty well with the ladies, all things considered, doesn't he? Can't wait to see Mickey steal $4 million bucks. I'm sure that'll be a major cluster. It has to be. Ray will never get a moment to just chill in the backyard flipping burgers. Does he even know how to turn his BBQ on?  Also…mark my words, that kid that stole Abby's Chloe bag is going to be a rock star in the ring.  

UnReal 
I was passed out cold before the fireworks and UnReal last night. We took a long hike with our dogs along the Hudson River yesterday, hit 3 supermarkets, prepped for the week, and watched the Yankees lose which was about all I had left. While I was making my lunch this morning, I started watching UnReal. It was soooo crazy and sooo juicy that I ended up leaving my house late today and watching the entire episode. Thankfully, there was no traffic. I guess most people were smart and took today or this entire week off. The battle between Quinn and Rachel continued and they are both out of their minds. I find myself rooting for Rachel because she seems damaged but good somehow, but is she? Quinn's just evil to the core and still SO enjoyable to watch. Last night though even Darius went rogue and at the end of the show within the show, (name it for bonus points) he threw his own curve ball (even though he's a football player.) Jeremy got sh*tfaced drunk and slapped Rachel in the face so Chet just had to fire him. There can't be two bearded dudes pining away for their twisted women on this show. UnReal's so damn good and getting better every week you REALLY need to be watching it. 


THE OTHER STUFF

-I don't know why I'm having so much of an issue finishing Bloodline on Netflix or starting Orange is the New Black. Maybe it's just too nice out to hunker down for a good binge or maybe Bloodline's just boring the hell out of me. I feel guilty saying that since I support all Friday Night Lights alumni. I'll def get to it. I have to. I won't let myself start OitNB until I finish Bloodline and I need to do that before I get to LBI at the end of August. When I did have time this weekend, I watched Kingdom and again thanked my friend for letting me use his Direct TV password. Kingdom is SO damn good. If you have Direct TV and aren't watching than seriously stop what you are watching right now and get started. I NEVER tell you guys to spend money, especially not on DVD's but you can buy Season 1 on Amazon and watch. I thought for sure it was also available on iTunes, but I don't see it there so DVD's may be the only option. Trust me, it's worth the $27 bucks. Every single guy is super hot and most of them rarely wear shirts. The women are topless, Nick Jonas is in it, and the acting is incredible. Frank Grillo, Matt Lauria and Jonathan Tucker really need some major accolades and press.Their managers better start sifting through episodes and pick scenes to submit to the Emmy people because they all deserve a shot.

-Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was really good last week. I'm a pretty big fan of Judd Apatow's and as a family, we are huge Pontiac Firebird fans. Jerry's entire shpeel about the Firebird and Judd at the beginning is hilarious. Judd's office would make me nuts. Wish he'd hire me to come in and organize it all but he seemed to know where everything was. I'd freak out just walking in there with all that mess and chaos. I got through it enough to watch this one twice. Check it out:  http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/judd-apatow-escape-from-syosset

-Remember a few months ago when Stephen Colbert and Sturgill Simpson came up with a Waffle House song? No idea if it was a bit or a real product integration. I'm assuming the latter, but either way, it was a damn good one. The Waffle House people liked the tune so much it's now on every Waffle House jukebox across the country. Who knows if that was part of the deal or not. Who cares, Colbert needed something to go viral, this did the trick We don't have a Waffle House near us. I've never even been to one. This video makes it look like THE place to be. Gotta give Colbert and Simpson credit. Job well done. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9WBVULoic0

-Are you guys watching Bill Simmons new show on HBO yet? It's called Any Given Wednesday. There's only been 2 eps so far but both have been awesome. I think I mentioned last week after I wrote about episode 1 that I didn't know who Bill Simmons was until he was on Howard Stern. Now, I'm obsessed with him. I feel like I've missed out big time not knowing who he is and not following him all this time. His Game of Thrones bit from last weeks episode was hilarious.GOT fans will love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrf_RfT9eE

-My husband and I don't watch many of the same shows. He's always enjoyed the original BBC show, Top Gear. He never went for the American version. When the BBC fired Jeremie Clarkson and all his buds quit, my husband said that was it...show over. I asked him how the new version with Matt LeBlanc was and he said it sucked. He's waiting for the Amazon show the original 3 will host. Well, the American version's been cancelled, the British version's most recent episode hit an all time low with 1.9 million viewers and Matt's partner, Chris Evans (not Captain America, the other one) has quit after just one season. Not looking good across the board for the franchise. Not sure when Jeremie and his buds show premieres but I know one guy who can't wait.

-Brian Roberts probably had a pretty decent holiday weekend. I'm guessing the BBQ at his place was outta control. Fireworks, Kobe Beef and lobster tails on the BBQ. Perhaps some Cristal and caviar to celebrate the one year extension of his CEO gig. Comcast just bought the Dreamworks Animation studios for $3.8 BILLION which I guess was a decent price since the Comcast board kept Roberts on another year.  Maybe he's taking the yacht out with some friends? That's what I'd do. 

-Couple of recommendations if you're all caught up with everything else and you're looking for a movie to watch. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey was really good and should have done much better in theaters. The small film just can't catch a break. If it's not super scary, or filled with super heroes or geared toward little kids, a film just doesn't stand a chance these days. Whiskey TF should have done MUCH better than it did. It's a good movie and Tina, in a serious role, kicked ass. This one's out on Amazon. Over on Netflix, The Fundamentals of Caring is a reallllllly good little movie. It stars Paul Rudd, who's SO underrated and amazing in this movie. It also stars Selena Gomez who's surprisingly great as a runaway Paul and the kid he's taking care of pick up on their road trip. If you watched Red Oaks on Amazon, you'll recognize the kid and be shocked that he's a Brit. Really good movie. Also awesome on Amazon, both of their pilots. The Last Tycoon stars Matt Bomer looking super hot and The Interestings stars Lauren Ambrose from Six Feet Under and David Krumholtz who you'll recognize.

Power is back on Starz on July 17th. If you need to catch up, the entire first season is available on Starz.com and on their app. I've given you a ton of stuff to watch in today's blog, I honestly can't prioritize but if you need some help, shoot me a note and I'll try to narrow it down for you. This one's a good one...really good. 

Tuesday's Trivia Question: Yesterday was the big 4th of July Hot Dog eating contest. Anyone know how many hot dogs Joey Chestnut broke the record with? 
kristy@watchingwaytoomuch.com 

WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at tvnme
http://watchingwaytoomuch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment