Saturday, November 17, 2012

SPECIAL WEEKEND BLOG POST: EATING WAY TOO MUCH


You guys need to know...something special happened today...I went to the Jimmy Fallon show! I didn't get to meet him, but I sat pretty close and got to see my FBFF in action.  He didn't see me with my stupid smile, clapping and laughing on que, freezing my butt off in the 4th row, but I was happy as a clam and still put it out into the universe that one day he would in fact be packing his knapsack and heading to Tenafly for our first non-sexual BFF Sleepover.  It was a great show, but when we left we were starving, and since I was in the city and had read about Guy Fieri's TERRIBLE, AWFUL restaurant where Jimmy happens to have a drink on the menu (The Boozy Creamsicle) I had to check it out...Here's MY review from my Facebook Page last night:  

It had to be a set up-The Guy Fieri Restaurant is Good

by Kristy Carruba on Friday, November 16, 2012 at 10:05pm ·



So here's the thing.
I would describe myself as a foodie.  I always have a list of restaurants in my phone that I need to try or check out.  Typically, a theme restaurant such as The Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump Shrimp or Guy Fieri's would not be my first choice. Not that I can't find something delicious to eat at any of these places, they just aren't my first choice.

As everyone in America knows, this week, Guy Fieri's new Time Square restaurant received one of the worst reviews I have ever read by New York Times Food Critic, Pete Wells.

I'm betting that Pete must own a part of Guy's new place and that the scathing review was all a ploy, a plot, a conspiracy, a social experiment or something,  because for some reason after reading the worst review of any restaurant ever,  I needed to go and check it out.  ME! A self proclaimed food snob had to go to this scary, awful place.  

IT WAS GOOD!
Was it the greatest place in the world...no, of course not, but it wasn't AT ALL as terrible as Pete had lead us to believe.  

When we got there, the place was packed. We had called ahead, were told there was a 20 minute wait.  When we walked in, we were greated by very nice hostesses who gave us a Cheesecake Factory type beeper/buzzer thing and confirmed that indeed it would be a 20 minute wait. NO PROBLEM, we got a seat at the bar, I ordered the Jimmy Fallon "Boozy Creamsicle" Rich ordered a beer and a shot of Tequila and before we could sip our drinks our beeper was beeping! Table was READY...8 minutes.  We were given a decent table, had a great waitress and completely understood EVERY single item on the menu...no issues at all.  

Within minutes we were given water, and placed our order.
Kristy: Tuna Sashimi Tacos & the Acapulco Gold Salad
Rich: Dragon's Breath Chili (I know not a great idea when our son's away for the weekend, but I didn't say a word) and Guy's Famous Burger
For the Table: Sweet Potato Fries

Appetizers were served within 5 minutes and both were delicious
Plates were cleared promptly and the Entree's were served immediately.
Entree's were delicious too!  My salad wasn't anything super special, but for what it was, it was good. Rich's burger, according to Rich was delicious too.

Done...got the check and paid promptly. 

Everyone thanked us for dining with them and hoped to see us again soon.

I had a total of 2 complaints-both could be fixed easily.
1) There were no handbag hooks at the bar (Rich suggested it before we left and the manager thought it was a great idea)
2) Our table was wobbly.

That's pretty much all that was wrong with the place.

Is it Nobu or Del Frisco's or LaConda Verde, no of course not, but for what it is and what it's supposed to be.  It does the job and it does it well.  

So Pete Wells...I hope you are getting a piece of the action based on the part you played, because if you didn't, you...you should have.  Worst review ever and it got this foodie, who hasn't been to a NYC restaurant in a long time, to RUN and try it the first chance I got.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hungry now! Went to Del Frisco's Grille in atlanta this week - less than 2 months in operation and some kinks to work out but food was off the charts and the wine list was one of the best and most reasonably priced (outside of Landmarc of course) that I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete