Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Normal Heart, Halt & Catch Fire, Nurse Jackie and 24...Just about caught up!



THE ANSWER TO FRIDAY'S TRIVIA QUESTION: The theme of last week was FOX TV SHOWS
FIRST FIVE: Karen Feldman, Jim Carter, James Gabriele, Mike O'Dea & Priscilla Paez
HONORABLE MENTION: Monica Caraffa

THE NUMBERS  

Friday's Cable Top 5
Delayed

Sunday's Broadcast Top 5
Coca Cola 600-FOX 1.5/6.5
America's Funniest Home Videos 8p-ABC 1.0/4.6
America's Funniest Home Videos 7p-ABC .7/3.8
Crisis-NBC .7/2.8
Believe-NBC .7/2.8

Sunday's Cable Top 5
Delayed

Sunday's Top 5 Nielsen Twitter Ratings
Mad Men Finale-AMC 39,000 Tweets
The Normal Heart-HBO 20,000 Tweets
Total Divas-E! 14,000 Tweets
National Memorial Day Concert-PBS 6,000 Tweets
Bllod Lake-Animal Planet 5,000 Tweets

THE SHOWS

The Normal Heart
I remember being in high school when the AIDS epidemic began. I remember friends of my Mom's getting sick and dying. I remember seeing Larry Kramer's play and walking out because it too devastating and upsetting to watch. It's 30 years later and 36 million people have died of AIDS.  I'll be honest, I have no idea what the state of the disease is in this country. Most of my friends are healthy, most of us are all educated and know how to teach our children to be safe. The HBO movie version of The Normal Heart was powerful, upsetting, devastating and brought all of what I remember back like it was yesterday. Kudos to some BRILLIANT performances. Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, Taylor Kitsch, Julia Roberts and Jim Parsons to name a few. I was going to make some cutesy remark about how gorgeous most of the cast was before they got sick (especially Matt Bomer who's naked butt Ryan Murphy gave us as a gift) but that would take away everything the movie was meant to be and I just won't go that route on this one. Now I know why Ryan Murphy let Glee jump the shark. He's had his attention on other things like this HBO movie. I guess I'll let him slide. I can't believe the AIDS epidemic and it's horrific beginnings happened in my lifetime. I know we've come a long way since then, but I think we probably still have a long way to go. This one will stay with me a while. 

Halt and Catch FIre
I watched the sneak peek of AMC's new show, Halt and Catch Fire over the holiday weekend. For some reason, I thought that it would be a lot like HBO's Silicon Valley, but it's SO not. This story takes place in the early 80's (you know how I love the 80's) when most of the computer companies we know of today already existed but weren't quite what they are today. This show follows the story of the personal computer market, which was in its infancy during this time. It's a pretty cool show so far and I can see it having tremendous potential and keeping me interested. It's a drama, it's easy to understand and there is some eye candy for me. Lee Pace plays Joe McMillan who you may recognize from Pushing Daisies or from Twilight or even from The Hobbit movies. I'm ready for this one let's see if it continues to keep me interested.  

Nurse Jackie
I don't know how I feel about Nurse Jackie anymore. I admit, the show was boring when Jackie was sober, but now that she's using, she's worse than ever, she's lying to everyone and messing up a great relationship, I sort of want her to be boring again. We know something bad's going to happen, we just don't know if it will be a patient, herself or Grace, but SOMETHING bad is going to happen. Jackie is SUCH a great liar and SUCH a great manipulator. I couldn't believe Eddie got her those pills to help with the cravings. I want Frank to keep walking but I have a feeling he will head right back to Jackie's house. What does it mean when I want more of the other stories than Jackie's? Congrats to Coop for finally becoming Chief of the ER after all this time. Congrats to him smashing that arrogant doctor in the face too! I hope the Skyping thing between Prentiss and Zoey ends soon and Zoey finds someone awesome. Carrie Roman's got to go, I can't stand her, and is Akalidis's gambling thing going to be addressed ever?  

24
The following happened between 3-4pm.
  • Kate got the flight key and followed Chloe's instructions to get to a 4G network (hope it was a Verizon one or there may be problems with the upload)
  • Upload resumed, override code found and forwarded to CTU just like that
  • CTU let the Prez know that Jack was telling the truth and that another drone attack was imminent
  • The Prez tried to disable all the drones but Catelyn Stark, aka Margo the Mad terrorist Mom had already taken control of 6 of them AND had time to make a video threatening the President. Good news…Naveed made sure the video was traceable bad news, MMTM figured out what Naveed did…not good for Naveed
  • Guess who got summoned to London to see the Prez? JACKKKKK!!!
  • Jack can help the prez by getting info that will help, but of course HE is the ONLY one who can get it. 
  • Audrey went to see Jack and they had a very close range "moment" where good breath was necessary, hope Jack had mints in his pocket.  
  • Everyone did a lot of speaking in their inside voices in this episode
  • CTU went to get crazy Margo but Kate thought it was just too good to be true and of course it was. Margo found out that Naveed put tracers on the video and changed the location. 
  • OF COURSE Chloe figured it out and got word to Kate to abort the mission and OF COURSE the team got out in JUST in the nick of time 
  • OF COURSE Margo killed Naveed but she did it RIGHT in front of Simone. CRAZY SH*T and all in 1 hour!!!!
THE OTHER STUFF

-Okay, it's starting to happen…the fall of Justin Bieber has gotten to this…a special appearance on So You Think You Can Dance. The show has added a new element to the competition…dance crews. Justin and his choreographer will introduce the dance crews from around that country vying for a spot in the finale. It had to happen sooner or later right? 

Tuesday's Trivia Question: Name the talk show host that starred in the show Brothers.

WWTM-Kristy
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at watchingwaytoomuch@tvnme
kristy@watchingwaytoomuch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment