Trivia Answer: Michael Phelps obviously carried the American Flag in Friday nights Olympic Opening Ceremonies.
First Fives: Mike O'Dea, Michelle Katz/Beck, Elke Raskob, Monica Caraffa & Bill McLaughlin
Honorable Mention: Michele Mullings
THE NUMBERSThursday's Broadcast Top 5
Big Brother-CBS 1.9/6.0
Big Bang Theory-CBS 1.3/6.7
Olympics Preview Special-NBC 1.1/5.0
Life in Pieces-CBS 1.0/4.9
American Ninja Warrior-NBC 1.0/3.5
Thursday's Cable Top 5
American Dad-Adult Swim .7/1.6
Big Bang Theory-TBS .7/2.1
Bobs Burgers-Adult Swim .5/1.2
Cleveland Show-Adult Swim .5/1.2
Impractical Jokers-TruTV .5/1.0
Thursday's Social Media Top 5
Big Brother-CBS 148,000 Tweets
Greatest Hits-ABC 80,000 Tweets
Hannity-FOX News 32,000 Tweets
James Corden-30,000 Tweets
Braxton Family Values-WE 22,000 Tweets
Friday's Olympic Opening Ceremonies were the lowest rated since 1992. The event delivered a 7.7 RA18-49 and was seen by 27.2 million people. London's opening ceremony delivered a 12.2 and was seen by 40.6 million people
THE SHOWSBig Brother
- The announcer was funnier than normal during last nights BB opening, anyone catch that?
- You would think Natalie would be fine during the spinning competition, there has to be something similar at Disneyland and I'm pretty sure that's where Natalie's DNA is from
- #The Executives-Call 555 Get $$$
- #Usuck trolls should just go and slam Natalie to stop her whining
- Gotta give #sickmeech credit for staying on the swings while spinning and puking
- Trolls came and beat Meech and stop the endless crying
- When Paul said he hated everyone in the house and they all suck he meant everyone BUT Paulie his PP buddy, right
- Nicole almost fell in the vomit, did you see that?
- I don't think ANYONE, including you Paulie should throw an HOH
- Zakyiah dropped and Paulie dropped right AFTER her...dumb ass, of course she's going to notice
- Victor vs. Natalie for HOH...Battle for who loves their Mom more (My son said he would win...cute, right?)
- Natalie's an idiot and Victor's HOH
- #crybabies big time...Z, Meech and Natalie all cried at the comp. The only girl that held her sh*t together was Snoutlet
- Victor declared himself the Puerto Rican Sensation except he's really pretty stupid if the thinks he's actually on the inner circle
- I hate Paulie's sideburns that aren't connected to anything
- The biggest threat to everyone's game is Paul & Paulie...Victor needs to think about that and turn the game around otherwise, he doesn't win
- Girls are so f'ing stupid. Everything is all about the guys, such IDIOTS
- #The Board Victor/Paul/Paulie but even Paul proclaimed that Victor's not a part of the PP brolovers
- Meech is a wreck, way too many tears, but if Victor was smart, he'd use all those girls to backdoor Paul or Paulie
- Everyone was sound asleep for America's Care Package. The guy was screaming for everyone. Too funny
- America sent James socks, undies, sunglasses and the got the ability to block 2 eviction votes. He's never going to use them.
- Victor Nominated Z and Michelle and was a d*ck during the eviction ceremony. Who throws beads at the nominees?
As usual a lot going on in Ray's life. Seemed like only one day and yet so much accomplished, well...sort of.
Mickey had to pretend to be gay to be transferred to a protective cell. It was REALLY ridiculous that the big Asian dude broke the law and was processed and sent to the same exact prison as Mickey in under a day, wasn't it? I mean no trial? No meeting with his lawyers, no nothing. Sure I get that he was sent in intentionally by his Russian bosses, but we all know the process doesn't move that fast. Go over to HBO and watch The Night Of. Anyway, Bunchy and Terry were hilarious telling the investigator that Mick was gay. Terry was so uncomfortable saying the words, Bunch seemed okay with it, didn't he? Connor's a d**sh and almost screwed everything up for his grandfather but Mick took his cellmate into his own hands before he died of poison slop. The old dude was out and the Asian moved in. Mick was ready to make Mu Shu Fork out of him, but just before the forking was about to go down...saved! Hector sent Darrell to go get Lisa Bonet out of rehab. Unfortunately, on the way back to see her bro, she stopped off to get high. Hector was PISSED to see his wasted sister/lover and threw her ass out big time. You know what they say about a woman scorned. Next week, she's going public with their incestual Game of Thrones relationship. Ray and Hank Azaria were in a race to screw each other over and I'm not sure, but I think that as usual, Ray won. Another dead body to deal with, but this time, Ray wasn't the killer, and he didn't have to deal with the clean up. No blood on his white shirt this week. His dry cleaner will miss him this week. No Bridget this week, and barely any Abby stuff.
THE OTHER STUFF
-The Television Critics Awards were given out on Saturday night. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on TV or I would have DVR'ed it. I like every decision they made here. I rarely agree with the critics, but I'm good here, with the exception of the Rachel Bloom award.
Individual Achievement in Drama - Sarah Paulson for The People vs. OJ
Individual Achievement in Comedy-Rachel Bloom for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Outstanding Achievement in News & Info-Samantha Bee (YEAH SAM B!)
Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming-Making a Murderer
Outstanding New Program-Mr. Robot
Outstanding Drama-The Americans
Program of the Year-People vs. OJ
-Some Interesting Olympic info I thought I'd share:
- 1/2 the viewers of the Olympics say that the athletes juicy personal stories suck them into the Olympics
- Showcasing the drama and backstories of the athletes also resonates more strongly in the advertising
- 2 out of 5 viewers multitask while watching major sporting events like the Olympics and viewers are also fairly active online using their mobile devices while watching the games
- Women and Millennials are more likely to reserve Olympic viewing for the weekends
- Males and older adults plan to watch Olympics during Primetime
- Millennials are least likely to watch Olympics via live Broadcast TV and more likely to watch via Social Media platforms and unauthenticated sites
- The majority of viewers plan on watching the games at home
- Men are 2x more likely to watch Olympic events at work
-Celebrity Family Feud, $100K Pyramid and Match Game alllll renewed. ABC's stoked I'm sure. Nice cheap Summer programming to keep around. I'm sure they'll throw it in whenever they need filler. Alec, Strahan and Steve Harvey are all around whenever they need them for a day or two to tape a bunch of eps. They'll keep um on the shelf, and throw them in whenever they cancel some stupid show or don't know what to run. I call this the "Plan B File"
-E! is going big with Facebook Live. Starting today they're going to air a show called TV Therapy at 7pm and then they'll slowly ramp up with the goal to have a total of 5 new shows on Facebook Live. One for every night of the week. It's getting to be too much for me to keep up with. I reallllly need to retire just to keep up with all the shows on all the platforms if I want to do this right.
-Currently the Social Media Numbers I report from Nielsen only include Twitter, but Nielsen's adding Facebook to its sample pretty soon and then right after that, Instagram's going to be added in too. Guess I'll have to move from reporting "Tweets" to "posts" or "mentions" when this goes down. Lets see how much higher those numbers go. Personally, I think they provide more value at this point than the ratings. Engagement is much more valuable to all of us, isn't it?
-Bravo's ending Girlfriends Guide to Divorce after what they're calling its 5th Season but it's really 3 seasons that total only 19 more episodes. We need a new word for Seasons, don't we? I mean Comedians in Cars "SEASON" is only 6 episodes. I think we should move to cycles instead of seasons at this point or maybe we just go with episodes?
-There aren't that many Fall network Primetime shows I'm excited about at this point but as a baseball fan, and a Mark Consuelos fan, I've been looking forward to Pitch on FOX big time. FOX is so hot on it that they're doing everything they can to promote it. I like their newest idea. "Pitch Night at the Ballpark." I might head over to the Rockland Boulders game to see how it goes. They're going to air the pilot on the big screen in 43 Minor League/Summer/Independent League stadiums and have meet & greets with the fans and the cast. I like the idea a lot. Could be fun, plus Mark Consuelos is hot.
-I didn't know any of the songs Jimmy Fallon or Seth Rogan performed in Friday night's Lip Sync Battle, but they were both amazing nonetheless. Check out Seth's live Roots performance. Fallon looked like he was truly surprised by the entire thing.
This week is what I'm calling the PROGRESSIVE TRIVIA WEEK. Questions will start out easy and get harder each day.
Monday's SUPER EASY Trivia Question: The People vs. OJ was a big winner at the TCA's over the weekend and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a big winner at this years Emmy Awards. Name the actor who played OJ Simpson in this one.
Like me on Facebook at Watching Way Too Much
Follow me on Twitter at tvnme